Our school was founded by Rabbi Dr Solomon Schonfeld, as part of the Jewish Secondary School Movement. The Movement was set up on the third night of Chanukah 1944 – hence the name HASMONEAN and the origin of the school badge depicting the menorah. The Hasmonean Primary School opened its doors to pupils in 1947.
The school was granted voluntary-aided status in 1995 and the Nursery received the same status in 2005.
Rabbi Mordechai Ginsbury was appointed Principal of the school in 2004.
The well-established Governing Body has facilitated improvements to the school buildings which include a modern Junior block, refurbished Foundation Stage and Infant classes, completely renewed hall and playgrounds, a beautiful Beis Hamidrash and state of the art ICT facilities.
The active PTA works tirelessly for the good of the school and the children. It has supported many initiatives, including refurbishing the library, the Reception playground and the ICT suite.